Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Biggest Stunt

Some of you might be aware that I've recently had the opportunity to take advantage of whatever I learned in my Photography class this semester to do some special pictures for friends. First, I was asked by some friends of mine to do their engagement pictures. Here are some examples.



Next, I was asked by my friend Chase if I would come with him to St. George one weekend to be the photographer for his family's family portraits. This one was a little different than the engagement pictures, because a) I only knew one of the 7 people I would be taking pictures of, and b) I was getting paid this time.

That little excursion didn't go exactly as planned, unfortunately. St. George is known for its warm, sunny climate. However, that weekend was pretty much the only weekend in the surrounding months where it was cloudy, rainy, and freezing. Since the family had two children that were barely controllable inside, we figured it would be a joke to try and get them to look cute and not hating life in the freezing cold. So we just ended up taking pictures inside their rented condo, which wasn't too bad. I did feel bad, though, because I basically did exactly what a tripod could have done, and Chase's mom still wanted to pay me. Oh well... I hope I did something spectacular. /:

Anyways, my most recent of these opportunities came a week or two ago when I got a text from my friend PeTA (more on that name later) saying "Hey, this text is going to anyone we know who knows anything about cameras and picture taking and stuff. If you would be willing to take some pictures for us, that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to pay you with anything but love and giving you credit for the pictures. But you would get lots and lots of both!"

PeTA lives on the 3rd floor of my building, is very, very sweet, is actually named Devan, and is a vegan, so he very quickly turned into PeTA (not sure about the random capitalization, but whatever). Anyways, when he said "anyone we know", he was referring to him and his band, The Biggest Stunt. When I got that text, I had just found out that I'd gotten a really good final grade in my Photography class, so I was definitely in the photographing mood. I responded that I would love to help, and it was on from there.

So yesterday, my dad happened to be coming to my city anyways, so he brought his nice Pentax digital SLR to let me use. I was pumped. So around three or so, PeTA showed up with his band, consisting of Cory (lead guitar/vocals), Romeo (guitar), Chase (drums/vocals), and himself (bass). We had a fun day of shooting at many various locations, and some of them turned out a lot more like "best friend" pictures than band pictures, but they were fun anyways. The guys were an absolute riot to work with, and I was having the time of my life. After we got done exploring sets around town, we went back to Cory's house so they could practice, and I could get some pictures of them actually playing. A lot of those ones actually turned out really, really awesome. Plus, I got to hear them play!

Later, PeTA told me that he was shocked at how well I was able to get everyone to work with me. He was expecting to get maybe one good picture, but I assure you--we got plenty. We took over 270 pictures, and it was tough having to choose the best ones. Below are some of my favorite ones (after editing). The one at the very bottom is one of PeTA (and Romeo in the background) that I absolutely love. He isn't a big fan of it, but for some reason I just really love how it turned out. Sooo I voted it into the finals. (: By the way, the music they play is "melodic metal" (I think that's what they called it?). So it's a lot of really heavy guitar, but to be honest... I actually really liked it. Is that weird? Anyways, I just thought it was interesting, because even if someone tried to judge any of these guys by the way they look, these are actually some of the coolest people I know. They were also very polite and considerate, and were not quiet about their appreciation for me taking their pictures. By the end of the day, my self-esteem was taking a walk in a lovely park with these fine fellows. (:

Found this in a graveyard of signs. Probably the coolest photo set ever.

"We don't need metal to play metal." Ha. Good one!


Love you guys. (:

0 people find me hilarious: