Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Oh... it happens.

I have been struck by the need to blog aimlessly. I've started working on Sterling Scholar the past several weeks, and it's really gotten me thinking about what it's all about. I realize this sounds hokey, but I really mean it. I can't help but wonder what the point of it all is, besides having something nice to put on a résumé/job application, and having a handy portfolio full of all the reasons I am a wonderful person. (Ohh the jokes...) My point is, why put myself through all of this work and stress to come out with a little book of my accomplishments? In reality, I think the answer is not so that I can see what I've done in the past, but so that I can know what I am capable of and willing to try in the future.

Another thing I've been thinking about are the actual categories within a category: Scholarship, Leadership, and Citizenship. All of these things are essential to become a decent Sterling Scholar, so that made me wonder what exactly each one means to me. This is what I have come up with:

Scholarship
In Alexandre Dumas’s all-time classic “The Count of Monte Cristo,” a weathered Abbé Faria discusses with the young inmate Dantes the priceless reward to come if Dantes will assist in the escape. “My freedom?” asks Dantes. “No,” answers Abbé Faria. “Freedom can be taken away, as you well know. I offer you my knowledge.” This brieft, yet powerful statement effectively preaches the immortality of education. If a person has nothing else in their life, an education will help them succeed.

Leadership
There are two kinds of people in the world; those that follow, and those that lead. Nothing would be possible, nothing would be accomplished were it not for such men and women that lead us through our fears and hopes, darkness and light, tragedies and miracles. Followers and leaders, the epitome of symbiosis, are what make the world go ‘round.

Citizenship
Everything in our lives and our world depends on others. Where would such things be without the precious few who make caring worthwhile? Those who go the extra mile, those who care just a little bit more, who sacrifice time and effort to make things a little easier for others… these are the individuals that keep our society together.

This might sound kind of abstract to you, but it's really important to me. Already, Sterling Scholar is a huge part of my life, and I honestly believe it's all going to be worth it. Even though I've already been accepted to the University of my choice (hurray!), I don't see why I shouldn't put forth the effort to be further noticed by scholarship people and future employers.

And thus ends my thought process. For the moment.

1 people find me hilarious:

Kels said...

Hey! I came across this blog during my extreme boredom and it kept me entertained! You're a great writer and goodluck with your scholarship stuff!

I'll definitely be reading this blog more often.

Oh wow, I just read that over and I sound like a major creeper - don't worry that's not really the case - I'm also 18 and I have my own blog as well. You can check it out at www.confessionsofasunscreenaddict.blogspot.com

It's not so much a diary format but rather random tales of my life strung together with other random stuff mixed in. I really just write it because I'm bored and also because I want to be a writer when I grow up.

And, oh wow, I just wrote you a novel of stuff that I'm not sure you really need to know.

I tend to do this a lot - but I will stop.

:)