Thursday, September 16, 2010

Because We're Awesome.

Once upon a time, my friend Jasmine and I were wandering around the Centrum before Photography started, because we were a little bit early. And also because I had a Lifewater that was absolutely impossible to open, so I was on the lookout for someone who could open the stupid thing for me, preferably a guy that I already knew. So we sat down on a bench while I was wrestling the bottle cap (I’m serious, that crap was welded on there), and some guy came out of a room across the hall and was like “Are you going to be on the show?” Jasmine and I were baffled, so we just said “Um… no…?” Which came with a response from the guy saying “Well you can’t sit on that bench unless you’re going to be on the show.” Then some other guy came out from the room behind him and said “Don’t listen to anything he says. He’s just trickin ya.”

The first guy was named Nate, and Jasmine and I ended up talking to him for a minute, and we all just kind of hit it off. We were just joking around and teasing each other, just doing what I always do. Turns out, this Nate guy is in a radio broadcasting class and he has his own hour on SUU’s radio station (Power 91.1… if you’re interested. Haha) in the mornings, and he asked Jasmine and I if we’d like to be guest speakers on his show. And we said “Well… why the heck not?” So he gave us an assignment to research some stuff online and to come with an opinion to voice on the radio the next morning.

So this morning at 6:45, Jasmine and I headed over to the radio station place and sat in the waiting area of the station. And waited. And waited some more. Finally, at approximately 7:07, Nate showed up and actually looked surprised to see us. Of course we gave him crap for it, but we eventually got the ball rolling, and we had an hour of air time!

Jasmine and I waiting for Nate... we look torn. Don't judge us. (:
Radio head!

This was on the machine that they use to interview people with vocabularies that are well-known to be... colorful. I saw it while we were live on air, and I had to turn away from the microphone because I was just giggling. (:

The topic that we were assigned to research is a non-profit organization called Clean Media United. Basically, it’s a group dedicated to the cause of clean positive media in all of it’s forms. So they’re against like profanity, violence, sex/nudity, etc. in movies, TV shows, radio shows, music, books, and any other kind of media you can think of. It’s really pretty interesting. For more information, you can visit cleanmediaunited.org, search Clean Media United on YouTube, or join the Clean Media United group on Facebook. I’m on there. (: This does sound like a commercial, but I promise this wasn’t part of the deal for me getting to be on the radio. I just think it’s a really good thing, and I’m a big fan of the whole organization.

Anyways, the whole experience was just fun. Nate would show us how the different gadgets worked, he let us request songs to put on in between our talking time, and we just had a fun time talking and everything. He even let me borrow the CD that the show was recorded on, so I got to put that on my laptop to have forever and ever. (: It’s awesome! It was just a fun day. Especially since one of my life dreams has always been to have my own radio show, so this kind of contributed to that aspiration. Good times. (:

0 people find me hilarious: