Monday, September 19, 2011

You can call me Rachael Ray.

But please don't really. What I mean is that I'm still on that cooking/baking spree I mentioned a while ago, only now it's mostly just cooking because that seems a lot more practical. Plus it turns out I'm kind of good at it.

A few weeks ago, I was in the middle of making dinner (lemon chicken with a side of green beans and French bread with oil and vinegar) when my bishop dropped in to get to know my roommates and I. Turns out, he was extremely impressed to see that I like to make my dinners from scratch. (When he came over, I was cutting up the raw chicken, and had the corn starch and lemon zest and everything already measured out for the sauce)

Anyways, that little encounter resulted in getting an assignment with two other people to be on a cooking committee for a ward "Break the Fast" dinner next month. Hurray. Bishop also has a bad habit of talking me up to anyone he can. However, it is a boost to the ego, which results in nights like this one.

Tonight, I was inspired to make fettuccine chicken alfredo. However, rather than buying the sauce out of a jar like I did the last time I made this dinner, I decided I wanted to try making it from scratch.

GOOD CALL, ME.

It was absolutely incredible. I actually had some friends come over so they could have it with me. Because I really don't like making these awesome dinners just for myself. I don't know if it's actual charity so much as maybe me fishing for compliments, but either way, no one can really complain about it.



In case you're wondering, I'll share the recipe I used for the sauce. It made this much. (About 4 servings.)

1/4 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic, crushed (I bought garlic cloves, but they weren't very crushable. So I used garlic salt to taste, and it worked very well.)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (that was my favorite part to do...)

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in parsley and serve.

And I always have some chopped up cooked chicken on hand in my freezer for occassions such as this, so I just thawed that, then threw it in with the sauce and let it hang out there to warm up while the fettuccine was still cooking.

Anyways, it turned out really well. And as you can see, I'm a big fan of aprons. But that one is my adorable roommate Lindy's. I kind of want my own. If anyone feels like donating an apron or the fabric for one to me, I'd be okay with that. (:



I look good in aprons.


Well this was a fun update.

On my new hobby.

Which is cooking.

For multitudes of people.

While wearing an apron...

I'm such an old lady.

3 people find me hilarious:

Madison said...

your blog is adorable! i loveee it!

Jennifer said...

WEIRD. I was just going to say the same thing about you. (:

Madison said...

Well thank you ma'am! (: