Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I hate conflict.

I really, truly do. And I don’t generally take things like this public, but this is a blog and its purpose is for me to express myself. Plus this is a better outlet than venting my frustrations on the pour souls of the common room or fighting it out via Facebook like I’m 13 years old. I hereby declare that if you read this and feel offended in any way, it was your choice to read it or not. No one is making you listen to me. So here I go.

Nothing is more frustrating to me than a hypocrite.

For instance: “All Mormons are narrow-minded and judgmental.”*

Excuse me. But is it or is it not true that what you literally just said is a critical over-generalization? You say Mormons are narrow-minded because of their generally conservative beliefs, yet here you are claiming that every single person of the LDS religion is the same prejudiced human being. Is that not narrow-minded in itself?

I understand that everyone has their own beliefs. Not only do I have my religious beliefs, but I have opinions about politics and issues in society and professional football teams and candy bars and everything else, because why? Because I am a person with a mind. However, I do not in any way try to persuade others to believe the same way I do, unless they ask me about what I believe in. If I disagree with someone, I acknowledge the fact that they have a valid point, and politely declare that I will consider what they’ve had to say. That sounds like a load, but it’s true. I can’t stand when people won’t listen to my side of an argument, so who am I to refuse to hear theirs?

I do have one exception. The one belief I will press on anybody and everybody: Everyone deserves an opinion of their own. I am completely fine with it when someone tells me straight up that they don’t believe in the same things that I do. But one thing I absolutely will not tolerate is when they go so far as to tell me that what I believe in is wrong, and I shouldn’t believe in it either. If I don’t force my opinions on you, don’t you dare take it upon yourself to force your mind on me. Obviously I believe my faith to be true. If I thought it was a load of crap, then I wouldn’t believe in it. It’s as simple as that.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so think what you will about me and my religion, but don’t ever, ever try and tell me that what I know and feel in my heart is wrong. Because I will defend it to the death, no matter what you try and tell me that society says.

There. I’m off my soap box. Continue with your day.

*This was inspired by a real conversation, but the girl who said it made a point to say “NOT all Mormons are judgemental and narrow-minded.” And I really appreciated that. I just used this as an example of something I do hear a lot.

0 people find me hilarious: