Monday, February 14, 2011

My take.

I feel like it's necessary to do a short post on how I feel about Valentine's Day. Because I thought about it a lot this morning, and this is my conclusion:

I, Jennifer, as a single college female, have completely neutral feelings for this holiday.

Traditionally, it's viewed as either a genuinely sweet holiday set aside specifically for time to be spent with the person you love, or (for most single people) a superficial, commercialized day wasted on people who should really show love for each other every day, while making single people feel lonely and miserable.

If you can't tell, I used to relate to the second option. Fun fact: never in my entire life have I had a Valentine. (Or a boyfriend. But that's beside the point.) I have had instances where I've been part of an "item", but it was unofficial, and almost always in the fall/winter. Shoot, last year I got "dumped" a month before Valentine's Day. That was kind of a bummer

But let's look at this thing logically. Granted, people who are all "in love" with each other should probably show that they are on a regular basis, not just once a year. On the other hand, people who do do special things on Feb. 14 are generally people who also show their affection year round, they just take part in this holiday due to tradition. I don't think anyone should necessarily be pressured to do something special just because it's Valentine's Day, but I don't see the problem in going all out once in a while.

Now for the single folks. You never see more complaints on Facebook about being single than around Valentine's day. But here's what I find hilarious: the majority of people (at least the ones on my friends list) that are complaining about what a "stupid waste of a holiday" this is are people that really don't need a Valentine. I mean really? You're like 14. It's oooookayyyyy if you don't get a dozen red roses from your 9th grade crush. And to be honest, I don't see why it's so important to find a special someone "in time" for Valentine's Day. It doesn't matter what time of the year it is, if you have someone you care about, then good job.

I've come to the conclusion that single people who complain about Valentine's Day don't think it's stupid. They don't think it's overrated. They don't even think it's corny. They are just wishing they could be one of the couples that are constantly being complained about. Say what you want, but you know it's true.

I'm completely content waiting until I find someone good enough for me to spent large amounts of time on, and I can honestly say that this day doesn't make me sad or lonely. In reality... it's just Monday.

Anyways, I'm just gonna step off my soapbox now. Sorry about that. I'm not even sure if any of this makes sense to anyone but me, but I thought I'd share anyways. Want to know why?

Because I'm 19 and I do what I want. (:

1 people find me hilarious:

Kimberly said...

Heh, I've just been celebrating Single's Awareness Day by dressing in black (as is my tradition) and you know what? You're right about singles just being plain jealous. And here's the clincher. My roomie went out on a date tonight with the guy I've had a crush on. *shrug* So yeah, single me. But it's not like I've been complaining to everyone or anything.